Babcia’s Polish Bigos.
You can have Babcia’s Polish Bigos using 15 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Babcia’s Polish Bigos
- You need of dried porcini mushrooms.
- You need of stoned prunes.
- Prepare of diced casserole beef.
- It’s of large pork belly slices.
- You need of polish sausage (ideally kielbasa), peeled (I didn’t do this which was a mistake).
- You need of onions, sliced.
- It’s of olive oil.
- Prepare of jar sauerkraut, rinsed.
- It’s of tomatoes peeled and chopped.
- It’s of cloves.
- It’s of cinnamon stick.
- You need of bay leaf.
- It’s of dried dill.
- Prepare of beef stock.
- You need of Salt and pepper.
Babcia’s Polish Bigos step by step
- Start by putting your dried mushrooms and prunes in a bowl and just covering with boiling water. Leave to soak for 30 mins..
- Heat your large saucepan or flameproof casserole dish and fry off the meat in batches to brown all over. Remove each batch into a bowl when done..
- Fry your onions in the saucepan over a low heat now and cook gently for 10 minutes..
- Return your meat to the pan and add in also your sauerkraut, tomatoes, cloves, cinnamon, bay, dill and sliced sausage..
- Drain your mushrooms and reserve the liquid in a jug. Add the mushrooms and prunes into your pot. Then make the reserved liquid up to a pint by topping it up with stock. Add that liquid into the pan too..
- Season it all with pepper (you can add salt later after you’ve tasted it). Bring the pan to the boil then turn it down to simmer gently with the lid on for 2 hours..
- Best left to sit overnight after it’s cooked and cooked to let the flavours develop..